Estimated reading time: 28 minute(s)
Who would have believed that the photo-sharing App will within a short period win the hearts of the people with over 300 million monthly active users?
Instagram has enjoyed massive acceptance from the populace and this can be attributed to the fact that people love visual.
The use of Instagram has gone beyond just sharing photos with friends. Now, you can use Instagram to drive quality traffics to your websites or offers and increase your revenue.
A recent study showed that Instagram has 15x more engagement than Facebook and 20x more engagement than Twitter.
Many of the top internet marketers are already aware of the importance of leveraging Instagram marketing and are already taking good advantage of that to double (and even triple) their sales without breaking the bank.
However, there are some disastrous Instagram mistakes that you have to avoid for you to enjoy those massive results enjoyed by others.
Here are 7 Instagram marketing mistakes you should avoid.
- Poor Quality Photos And Videos
People love visuals, yes but posting low-quality photos and videos will only turn them off. Low-quality photos and videos not only cost you your audience, there also leave a bad impression of your brand.
Posting low-quality photos and videos are one thing that you should try as much as you can to avoid because of its adverse effect on your brand.
You can easily use your smartphone to create high-quality photos and videos. Just ensure that there is enough light – and using natural light is by far a better option.
Here are some of the things to take note of when using your smartphone to take shots:
- Maintain a steady hand: a shaky hand can result in blurry shots. At first, this might seem difficult but with continued practice, it’ll be part of you.
- Use natural light: try as much as you can to always avoid the temptation of using flash in the day. Natural light yields a better result when compared to flash. The only time is advisable to use your flashlight is in the night and the camera should be closer to your object for a better result.
- Set your resolution high: It is a no doubt that the high the resolution of your photo, the better quality it is. When taking your photos try to go as close as possible rather than zooming in.
With that said, if you implement this tips, your photos and video quality will drastically improve like you never thought possible.
- Poor Copywriting Skill
You will probably be wondering why I included this as a point knowing full well that Instagram has to do more with visuals rather than writings.
You are correct but there should be an engaging and compelling call to action that goes along with your photos or videos.
The persuasiveness of your content will increase the number of likes, comments and shares that your photos or videos will get.
And in addition, bad sentences also make people perceive your brand as unprofessional, and invariably reduce your audience trust in your brand.
You can check your sentence errors (punctuations, grammars and spelling errors) using the free version of Grammarly or by reading your content loud. This will help spot the errors and save you some unnecessary embarrassment.
Focus on writing engaging and high compelling contents.
Here are the main components of a persuasive copy:
- Your headline should be clear, concise and compelling. Avoid vague headlines.
- Your content should be unique
- Your content should be useful – add value to your audience
- Your content should portray a sense of urgency
- Your content should be ultra-specific
- Stress benefits and not features.
- Making Every Of Your Post A Sales Pitch
Everyone wants to increase his sales as fast as possible and this has prompted many turning every of their post into a sales pitch.
But this is absolutely wrong.
Selling in every of your post can actually turn off even the most patient followers.
Though there might want you to make recommendations for them or even buy your offer, they hate it when you consistently push them to buy.
Give more time to adding value to their life. Post valuable contents that will educate and entertain them.
Pitch slowly and don’t be too hard on your audience else, you will probably lose them to your competitors.
- Poor Audience Engagement
This is another Instagram marketing mistakes that many are seriously making.
Often, it’s said that content is king but I stand to disagree with that.
Reason: the best content send to the wrong audience will achieve little or no results.
But send that same content to the right audience; you’ll be blown away by the kind of huge results you will get.
In essence, audience is king.
If you want to be in business, you have to give maximum attention to your audience.
Understand their buying behaviour and consistently engage them.
Your audience is the reason why you are in business.
If you constantly lose them without efforts to retaining them and getting more audience, your business will fizzle out sooner or later.
Here are some of the ways to engage your audience:
- Reply to their comments: it will definitely cost you nothing to reply to a comment from your followers.
- Follow them too: this gives them that sense of belonging and been recognised by you.
- Create an avenue for interacting with your followers by asking a question.
Everyone loves a freebie, once in a while you can just offer them a freebie. This could be a cheat sheet or a small eBook but should add value.
- Wrong Hashtag Usage Or No Hashtag At All
Instagram hashtags are as vital as the heart when it comes to reaching your target audience.
But many Instagrammers are yet to start leveraging this to grow their followership. And some are using it the wrong way – and this is one the costly Instagram marketing mistakes.
Hear this, an Instagram stats showed that an Instagram post with at least one hashtag averages 12.6% more engagement than a post with no hashtag.
Isn’t that great?
Hashtags are undoubtedly powerful. They can help your posts reach a target audience, attract followers in your niche, increase engagement, and develop a more positive and recognizable brand image.
I understand you might love to leverage Instagram hashtags to increase your reach but don’t know how to go about it.
Don’t worry, I’ve got covered.
Here are some tips how to use hashtags for your business
- Narrow down your hashtags: this serves you an important purpose, which is availing you the opportunity to compete with a smaller section of the market where your post doesn’t get eaten up by the whales.
- Organise your hashtags: this can be done using excel spreadsheet or Instagram analytical tool. If you choose excel, you have to manually keep a track record of which hashtags you use, and that which correlate to your popular post. This will help you determine hashtags that work best for your post.
- Research other hashtags in your niche: one of the easiest ways to generate hashtag idea is by researching what other people in your niche are hashtagging on their photos. It is also advisable to research what influencers in your niche are hashtagging on their photos as well.
- Follow your own hashtag: this is important because it helps you find anyone that talks about you or your brand and you can easily connect with them.
- Create your own brand hashtag: though this is tricky but if done successfully, it pays off big time. A brand hashtag has to be funny, clear, clever or at least memorable in order to work.
Instagram for business is one tool that many businesses are seriously leveraging on to increase their brand awareness, website traffic and boost sales. But a lot of persons are not seeing their desired results because of the above-listed Instagram marketing mistakes.
If you are dead serious about increasing your traffic and tripling your sales, you must try as much as possible to avoid these Instagram marketing mistakes. We would love to hear your contribution via the comment section.